Rock Bass Lessons
Here's an outline of topics your teacher can cover with you depending on your level of ability.
- Basic technique, notes, and scales.
- Rhythm exercises.
- Listening to and playing along with recordings of influential players.
- Finger and picking technique.
- Focus on groove.
- Learning lead lines, how they connect with the bass part.
- Learning parts from well-known artists, emulating specific styles.
- Learning the tradition bass function in a band, as well as being able to play melodically and improvise.
- Exploring the history of rock and pop styles and how they have evolved, as well as their connection to the blues.
- Slap/pop technique.
- Working to create an individual sound.
- Preparing for playing in a live context with a band or in a studio.
- Using music theory to connect bass parts to all other aspects of a song.
- Using ear training to be able to hear where chords are moving and create more interaction and improvisation.
- Learning to solo in any context.
- Composing original songs.