Influences: Jaqueline DuPre, Mark Summer
Influences: Brian May, David Rawlings
Music making is a privilege that should be available to anyone who has the inclination. Music is a language; if you can learn to talk, you can learn to play! I teach in a relaxed yet goal-oriented way, with an emphasis on good technique, basic music theory and personal expression. Students ultimately teach themselves; the teacher is a guide, one who offers shortcuts and shows a path to effortless musicianship. My first priority is for the lesson to be a joyful experience. I have a flexible teaching system, spontaneously evolving with each student.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about lessons with Ward, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Private Cello/Guitar Teacher, Charleston, SC and Brooklyn, NY [2001 - Present]
- Professional Singer Songwriter, Charleston, SC and Brooklyn NY [2003 - Present]
- Freelance recording studio Cellist, Charleston, SC and Brooklyn, NY [1994 - Present]
- Member of National Touring Rock band, Jump, Little Children, Charleston, SC [1994 - 2005]
- Sub for Winston-Salem Symphony, Winston-Salem, NC 
- Sub for Western Piedmont Orchestra, Hickory, NC 
- Graduated, Bachelor of Music in Cello Performance (BM), North Carolina School of the Arts 
- Michael Daves-Guitar [2006 - 2007]
- Robert Newton-Guitar [2003 - 2004]
- Robert Marsh-Cello [1990 - 1994]
- Charles Medlin-Cello [1989 - 1990]
- Worth Williams-Cello [1988 - 1989]
Seminars and Workshops Attended:
- Winter Institute for String Quartets, University of Delaware 
- 2nd Place, NCNB Music Competition - National Bank of North Carolina 
- [January, 2012]
- Ward Williams - "Ward Williams" 
- Jump, Little Children - "Live at the Dock Street Theatre" 
- Jump, Little Children - "Between the Glow and the Light" 
- Jump, Little Children - "Between the Dim and the Dark" 
- Jump, Little Children - "Vertigo" 
- Jump, Little Children - "Magazine" 
- Jump, Little Children - "Buzz" 
- Jump, Little Children - "The Licorice Tea Demos" 
- NCNB Music Competition 2nd prize scholarship [1990 - 1994]
Student Reviews for Ward
(5.0 out of 5 stars)
Words on Ward - April 11, 2010
By Rosalyn T., Cello Lessons
Ward is a very talented and patient teacher. He creates a relaxed learning environment and quickly adapts his teaching style to the uniqueness of his students. He made returning to music after 16 years an enjoyable experience. Now I remember why I love the Cello!
We've never met a cooler cello teacher! - February 16, 2010
By Ellen and Greg, parents, Cello Lessons
Ward has brought his lively spirit into our home, inspiring our son to play and practice like never before. The cello has come alive for us, thanks to Ward's professional, disciplined and wild love of music. It's contagious! We are lucky to know such a talented musician who can connect with people of all ages. We've never met a cooler cello teacher.
Ward is an Excellent Teacher - May 3, 2007
By Corey Manuel, Guitar Lessons
I just finished a month of lessons with Ward for bluegrass guitar and had a great time. I have some knowledge on guitar but I was stuck just strumming chords. I wanted to further my ability with picking. Ward was excellent. Not only did he give me some awesome picking excercises, he helped me learn picking and tab for a few of my favorite songs. He came to the lessons with them all written out and ready to go. It was fun, relaxed and I definately learned a whole lot more than a thought I would in just a few short lessons. And he's punctual. If I was to make an album, he'd get a "special thanks goes to" listing. Thanks Ward.