Influences: Former teachers Peter Sykes, Linda Jiorle-Nagy, and Karyl Louwenaar; Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven, Chopin, Robert & Clara Schumann; fortepianists Melvyn Tan, Jos van Immerseel, Maria Rose, and Andreas Staier; pianists France Clidat, Murray Perriah and Malcolm Frager. Popular music influences Billy Joel and Elton John.
Influences: Classical/early music singers such as Emma Kirkby, Anthony Rolfe Johnson, and Ann Sofie von Otter. Singer-songwriters such as Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Paul Simon and Carole King.
My approach to teaching is based on gaining a concept of each individual student's needs and interests. I form a plan for lessons, which is organized but flexible and allows for the student to express creativity. Some goals for weekly practice are also set. I am patient and do my best to ensure that the student feels progress on a short-term basis. I encourage the development of musicality and listening skills along with proper technique and fingering. Lessons often cover music reading skills, comfort with the keyboard, harmony, fun arrangements to encourage creativity, and knowledge of style! I have experience teaching young children, as well as older kids and adults. Intermediate students of classical piano can expect study of diverse classical repertoire. In addition to piano I also teach the harpsichord.
Please note that I only teach singing to young children (ages 6-10). I teach piano to children and adult students at all levels of proficiency.
To inquire about lessons with Cheryl , please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- I currently teach piano at the Varta Academy of Music Arts in Rego Park, Queens. 
- I have given solo and chamber music concerts in university concert halls, chapels, libraries, museums, and festival venues. [ - 1996]
- My experience playing with and learning from other musicians has been very important in my musical life. I enjoy giving musical presentations and music appreciation talks to people of all backgrounds and interests.
- I give tutoring sessions in music theory, applied harmony, music history, and ear training. 
- I have coached chamber music groups as a teaching assistant in university programs. [1994 - 2007]
- I taught courses in music appreciation at the Brookline Center for Adult and Community Education, in Brookline, MA. Musical topics for my classes included Intro to Opera, Great Symphonies by Favorite Composers, and Learning to Listen to Classical Music. [1994 - 1996]
- Graduated, Doctor of Musical Arts, Historical Keyboard Performance (DMA), Boston University 
- Graduated, Masters of Music in Musicology (MM), Florida State University 
- Graduated, Bachelor of Music (BM), Peabody Conservatory of Music 
- Webb Wiggins [1985 - 1989]
- Karyl Louwenaar-Luke [1989 - 1991]
- Peter Sykes [1994 - 2000]
Seminars and Workshops Attended:
- Baroque Performance Institute, Oberlin College of Music, Oberlin, OH 
- Festival of the Fortepiano, Boston University College of Fine Arts 
- Boston Early Music Festival Workshops, BEMF & E, Boston, MA 
- Outreach concert, Manhattan care facility [February, 2013]
Student Reviews for Cheryl
(0 out of 5 stars)
Cheryl 's Studio