Influences: Pat Metheny, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Ben Monder, Kurt Rosenwinkel, John Williams, Andres Segovia, J.S. Bach, Leo Brower, Agustin Barrios, Antonio Lauro, Carlos Santana, Jimmy Hendrix, Metallica, B.B. King, Steve Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Joe Satriani, Jethro Tull, Gipsy Kings, Flamenco Music, Guns n' Roses, The Eagles, Eddie Van Halen, and many, many others
Influences: Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Joe Satriani, Jethro Tull, Gipsy Kings, Jimmy Hendrix, Metallica, B.B. King, Steve Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton
I have been a guitar and bass teacher for more than 8 years, and I've had the great opportunity of teaching students of all backgrounds, ages and levels of expertise.
I recognize that each person is different, has a particular taste, and, most importantly, has a way of learning that is unique and must be addressed individually. As a teacher I am very encouraging. I challenge my students' talents and skills and offer them the highest quality instruction catered to their musical preferences.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about lessons with Alejandro, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Private Music Instructor (guitar, bass and beginning piano) in the New York area, including Manhattan, Queens, Long Island and Westchester County, as well as in my private studio. [06/2005 - Present]
- Teaching Fellow for the Jazz Guitar Program, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas. Duties included teaching private guitar lessons, and assisting UNT Jazz Guitar Professor, Fred Hamilton, in the instruction of master classes. [08/2004 - 05/2005]
- Director of the L-5 guitar ensemble, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas. Duties included rehearsal preparation and conducting; performance scheduling and logistics; arranging and writing music for the ensemble; as well as other related tasks. [08/2004 - 05/2005]
- Guitar Instructor for the Community Music Program at the University of North Texas, teaching students of all ages and proficiency levels. [01/2004 - 05/2005]
- Graduated, Master's of Music in Jazz Studies (MM), University of North Texas 
- Graduated, Bachelor's of Music in Jazz Studies (BM), University of North Texas 
- Graduated, Music Degree, with an emphasis on Sound Engineering and Classical Guitar (BA), Javeriana University, Bogota, Colombia 
- Fred Hamilton, UNT Faculty [2000 - 2005]
- Tibagui at Rose Live Music, Brooklyn [February, 2008]
- Alejandro Florez Trio [May, 2008]
- V "Encuentro" Festival of Colombian Music. SOBs, Manhattan [November, 2007]
- Taller Latinoamericano - "Famous Unknown (Compilation of rising North- and South-American Songwriters" 
- Tibagui - "Tibagui" 
- Pablo Mayor Folklore Urbano - "Corazon" 
- Jazz Studies Scholarship, University of North Texas [2000 - 2004]
- Jazz Studies Teaching Fellow, University of North Texas [2004 - 2005]
Student Reviews for Alejandro
(5.0 out of 5 stars)
Excellent Teacher - July 8, 2007
By Juliet and Alex, Guitar Lessons
Alejandro has been teaching guitar to my two children who are 7 and 5 years old. He is very patient and creative with them, finding ways to maintain their interest even though they are very young. He manages to keep their attention with songs they like and small rewards. Alejandro is very professional and reliable. I highly recommend him as a guitar teacher!
Amazing Teacher - July 1, 2007
By Steven Shaw, Bass Lessons
Alejandro has helped my become a better bassist than I ever could be teaching myself. He has given me a wider view of music. His Instrumental skills are amazing and I hope to learn much more from him.
I Never Imagined My Kid Would Practice - June 28, 2007
By Henry's Dad, Guitar Lessons
Alejandro Florez teaches guitar to our Rock 'n Roll obsessed eight-year-old boy with a gentle and persistent enthusiasm I simply envy. Had I had such a teacher when I was a kid learning piano, instead of a knuckle rapping dowager teaching music that didn't interest me, I might have been enthusiastic enough not to resent the 30 minutes a day spent alone at the piano learning abstruse marches. Our son, without thinking about it, practices daily, and we often can't get the guitar out of his hands. Alejandro has achieved this by responding to Henry's love for classic rock and teaching him to play the riffs in these songs. Doing so has opened the door to rudimentary music theory, so that, without it at all feeling medicinal, our boy's learning the basics but having a blast.
Alejandro Florez, our guitar teacher - June 27, 2007
By Miles Robert, Guitar Lessons
I have been playing guitar for over 40 years, and I am simply amazed at how beautifully Alejandro has enabled my 9 year old daughter to play classical guitar. I wish I had the time to take lessons from him myself! He is obviously a very gifted musician with a real knack for inspiring kids.
Review for Alejandro - June 27, 2007
By Jeselle Sancler, Guitar Lessons
Alejandro is a very respectable, professional and dedicated person and teacher. He is very motivated with the my daughter and teaches her the songs she enjoys. Alejandro always ensures that Jeselle is improving and not just taking the classes as it is available to her. It is a great pleasure to have him as a guitar teacher/instructor and hope that he stays around for a long time. Further, I always recommend him to my friends and family.