Matt L. , Piano Teacher , Essex County
Influences: Brad Mehldau, Sam Yahel, Kevin Hays, Jon Brion, Wynton Kelly, Phineas Newborn, Kenny Kirkland & all my teachers, past and present.
I believe in a well-rounded music education including basics such as technique, theory, reading, and rhythm. These are the building blocks to further studies in all musical repertoire, regardless of style and genre. I point students in the direction of becoming not only instrumentalists, but musicians. Having fun is a vital part of learning to play music as well and is usually the first reason students show an interest in music education. My goal is to guide my students to their fullest potential while maintaining a fun environment.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about Piano lessons with Matt, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (201) 546-5568.
- Brookhaven College - Jazz Piano Instructor
- University of North Texas - Teacher's Assistant
- University of North Texas - Member of the One O'Clock Lab Band - pianist
- Freelance Musician, New York City
- Graduated, Performance / Jazz Studies (MM), University of North Texas 
- Stefan Karlsson [2004 - 2006]
- Eagle Scout Award - Boy Scouts of America 
- Daniel Bruce - "A Single Thread" 
- North Texas Jazz - "(Counter-Part) Chamber Jazz, Vol. 1" 
Student Reviews for Matt
(0 out of 5 stars)
About the Piano
Viennese-style pianos were built with wood frames, two strings per note, and had leather-covered hammers. Some of these Viennese pianos had the opposite coloring of modern-day pianos; the natural keys were black and the accidental keys white.