Influences: Charlie Parker, Keith Jarrett, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Chris Potter, Warne Marsh
Influences: Bob Dylan, Elliott Smith, Charley Patton, The Beatles, Neil Young, Blind Willie McTell, George Harrison, Nick Drake, Paul Simon
Influences: Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, Chopin, Debussy, Bach, Beethoven, Brian Wilson
The joy of playing music and discovering new sounds is what captured my imagination when I was a young child, and I always try to impart that joy to my students. Music shouldn't be a chore - it should be a fun, exciting experience. When teaching, I work to help students to progress toward their individual goals, and strive to provide a positive and inspiring learning environment.
To inquire about lessons with Alastair, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Worked as a professional freelance musician. Events include: weddings, private parties, corporate/government events, restaurants, and festivals
- Performed with various jazz groups both as a leader and a sideman, including playing lead tenor for the Two O'Clock Lab Band at the University of North Texas
- Worked as a showband musician for Carnival Cruise Lines where I played saxophone, flute and clarinet for revue style production shows, cocktail parties, fly-on entertainers, jazz sets, and on deck entertainment
- I write, record, produce, and perform my own original songs and in a number of different NYC groups
- Graduated, Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies (Saxophone Performance) (BM), University of North Texas 
- Eric Nestler [2004 - 2005]
- James Riggs [2003 - 2007]
- Joel Frahm 
- Ars Nova theater Music Marathon [August, 2012]
- Alastair Ottesen - "Alastair Ottesen" 
- Alastair Ottesen - "You Can No Longer Blame It On The Machines" 
Student Reviews for Alastair
(5.0 out of 5 stars)
Immensely Talented and Thoughtful Teacher - October 7, 2014
By Will R., Piano Lessons
I've worked with several teachers over the last 15 years and Alastair is one the best around. While defined by his chops on the Saxophone, Alastair is a great piano teacher with a strong hold of theory and specifically, cordial voicing in jazz.
Beyond his musical and teaching ability, Alastair is friendly and flexible - always with the best interest of his students and their schedules in mind.
I'd recommend Alastair without reservation to both beginners and high-level players alike.