Influences: Mike Longo, Ron Carter, Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Chopin, Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, Wynton Kelly, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Shirley Scott, Sarah Vaughan, Grant Hinden-Miller, Sting and the Police.
Treat yourself to the gift of music! Each student is a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. By cultivating the love of music, joy of creativity and increased self-esteem through encouragement, inspiration and varied teaching tools your talents and creative potential will develop and manifest. Excellence is promoted, knowing that each person's best may be very different from another's, while having fun!
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about lessons with Gwen, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Notables Performed With (NYC): Ron Carter, Phillip Harper, Ben Brown, Thomas Brahmerie, Sean Smith, Curtis Boyd, Steve Johns, Frank Gant, Bruce Cox, Sylvia Cuenca, Eddie Locke, Melissa Slocum and Antoinette Montague.
- Performances/Sessions (NYC 1981-2012): Birdland Jazz Club, Avery Fisher Hall Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, Lenox Lounge Jazz Club, MOMA, Cleopatra's Needle Jazz Club, St. Nick's Pub Jazz Club, Big Apple Jazz/EZ's Woodshed Jazz Club, Gusto Organics, Gilliard Jazz Cafe, Aaron Davis Hall, 92nd Street Y, Baha'i Center, 55 Bar, Augie's Jazz Club, Lounge Ritsu Jazz Club, Yardbird Suite Jazz Club, Gishen Cafe Jazz Club, Londella's, Yvonne's, Mo Bay, Watercolor Cafe, The 420 Club, Talk Of The Town, Central Park South, Cameos, The Universalist Church, Riverdale Manor, Favia, Independence Community Bank, Richmond County Country Club, Northern Manhattan Nursing Home, Uptown Renaissance Jazz, Ethical Culture Society, Cafe Lou's, The News Room, Alger Mansion, Duplex, Kit Mc Clure Big Band, AFS Benefit, HAI, Fields Mansion, FEGS, Bethune Senior Center, American Guitar Institute, The Works, 125 Mart and Private Parties.
- Private Teaching Studio (Upper West Side - NYC 1992-2012): Student's Ages: 5-75 Years, Taught Classical Piano, Jazz Piano, Music Theory, Jazz Harmony, Voice Leading, Sight-Reading, Improvisation, Ear Training, Drumming, and Classical and Jazz Music History.
- Parkside School (NYC 2002-2003): Taught Private Piano Lessons, was the Accompanist and Assistant Teacher in the Music Dept. at this school whose students had learning and emotional difficulties.
Bronx Park East School (NYC 2002-2003): Taught Group Piano Classes, Private Piano Lessons and Music Theory.
The Music Stop (NYC 2001-2002): Taught Group Piano/Organ Classes and Theory; beginner, intermediate and advanced.
- International Performance: Jazz Quartet on Princess Cruises and Jazz Trio on Carnival Cruises
- TV Appearances: Jazz Perspectives (NYC) 1995 and First Exposure (NYC) 1994
Musical Theater: Fiddler On The Roof (NYC) 1987 and Sound Of Music (Equity Tour 1978)
- Graduated, BFA in Jazz Piano Performance (BFA ), City College 
- David Del Tredici (Composer) 
- Mike Longo (World Reknown Jazz Pianist- Dizzy Gillespie's Pianist and Musical Director) [1987 - 2012]
- Ron Carter (World Reknown Jazz Bassist- Miles Davis's Bassist among countless others) [1992 - 1996]
- Quadrupling Swing - "Live at Londell's" 
- Gwen W. Quartet - "Veteran's Day Tribute" 
- Gwen W. and Benjamin Brown Duo - "Swingin' Souls" 
- Four Peace - "Certitude" 
Student Reviews for Gwen
(5.0 out of 5 stars)
passion for music - June 19, 2012
By Janine - NYC, NY, Piano Lessons
My seven-year-old daughter has been taking piano lessons with Gwen for almost a year now, and we are truly amazed at how much she has learned, and more importantly we are thrilled to see that she is developing a real love of music. Gwen is patient, gentle, and has a true gift for teaching piano. My daughter looks forward to piano each week, and she is so comfortable with Gwen. We think this is the beginning of a life-long appreciation for music.
Gwen is fantastic! - April 23, 2010
By Elaine, Piano Lessons
I've been learning piano for 5 years. Gwen is my third piano teacher. I felt so so lucky to finally find her as my teacher. She is truely outstanding. She is very knowledgeable, and is consistently enthusiastic. Any question you asked no matter from very basic or to more advanced questions, she not only gave you an answer, but also why this is the answer. Most importantly, after learning from her, you will love piano more! It has been a wonderful experience that I could not have achieved without Gwen. I wholeheartedly recommend her to anyone wishing to learn piano.