My approach to teaching is made of two elements: listening and expressing. In order to play what you want to express, I believe you need to hear it first. Then you need to be able to play what you hear.
I believe each student deserves an individual lesson plan. I would be happy to provide practice materials selected according to each student's musical goal.
To inquire about lessons with Yuichi, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Faculty member at National Guitar Workshop, New Milford, CT, teaching drums, bands, music theory [1996 - 2013]
- Faculty member at National Guitar Workshop, Mclean, VA, teaching drums, bands, music theory [2007 - 2012]
- Drum teacher at Roosevelt Island Youth Program, New York, NY [2004 - 2004]
- Translator/event coordinator for Jazz Workshop for children, Yamaguchi, Japan [2002 - 2006]
- Private drum teacher at Riverdale Country School in Bronx 
- Graduated, Master of Art in Jazz Performance (MA), The City College of New York, CUNY 
- Jon Hazila [1991 - 1992]
- Joe Hunt [1992 - 1994]
- Charli Persip [1997 - 1998]
- Kim Plainfield [1999 - 2000]
Seminars and Workshops Attended:
- Berklee in Japan, Berklee College of Music 
- Percussion Department Award - Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA 
- Cuccinello Percussion Award - Cuccinello Foundation 
- Yuichi Hirakawa Jazz Trio [April, 2014]
- Uchida Foundation Scholarship, Tokyo, Japan [1991 - 1993]
Student Reviews for Yuichi
(0 out of 5 stars)