Yuichi H. , Drums Teacher , Queens
My approach to teaching is made of two elements: listening and expressing. In order to play what you want to express, I believe you need to hear it first. Then you need to be able to play what you hear.
I believe each student deserves an individual lesson plan. I would be happy to provide practice materials selected according to each student's musical goal.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about Drums lessons with Yuichi, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (718) 608-6080.
- Faculty member at National Guitar Workshop, New Milford, CT, teaching drums, bands, music theory [1996 - 2013]
- Faculty member at National Guitar Workshop, Mclean, VA, teaching drums, bands, music theory [2007 - 2012]
- Drum teacher at Roosevelt Island Youth Program, New York, NY [2004 - 2004]
- Translator/event coordinator for Jazz Workshop for children, Yamaguchi, Japan [2002 - 2006]
- Graduated, Master of Art in Music (MA), The City College of New York, CUNY 
- Jon Hazila [1991 - 1992]
- Joe Hunt [1992 - 1994]
- Charli Persip [1997 - 1998]
- Kim Plainfield [1999 - 2000]
Seminars and Workshops Attended:
- Berklee in Japan, Berklee College of Music 
- Percussion Department Award - Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA 
- Cuccinello Percussion Award - Cuccinello Foundation 
- Yuichi Hirakawa jazz trio [March, 2013]
- Uchida Foundation Scholarship, Tokyo, Japan [1991 - 1993]
Student Reviews for Yuichi
(0 out of 5 stars)
About the Drums
In the 1940s Louie Bellson pioneered use of two bass drums, or the double bass drum kit.