Influences: Billy Holiday, Ewa Demarczyk, Edith Piaf, Ella Fitzgerald, Teresa Stratas, Martina Arroyo, Frank Sinatra, , Sarah Vaughan, Patsy Kline, Lotte Lenya, Lucinda Williams, Wanda Jackson, so many others...
Although I am a classically trained singer, I have spent many years developing my own style of singing and instruction. I draw on my experiences and training not only in music, but theater and movement, to create a well rounded approach to singing and performing. I've sung everything from opera to music theater to jazz; European style cabaret to rock. I am also a songwriter and have collaborated on an array of original performances with various musicians and composers. I currently sing with my own roots rock band called The Red Apples that plays in and around the Chicago area. Besides teaching privately I also teach a performance workshop that covers many different aspects of performing live, and concludes with a live show with the band! I also coach actors and other performers, taught acting at Virtuoso Performing Arts in Niles, and was the vocal instructor at Camp Jam in 2009.
As an instructor, I am most interested in helping students find their true voice and artistic style. I teach students to find expression through and with a foundation of technique, rather then in spite of it. I also am very interested in helping students deal with the mental/emotional aspects of performance, an all important area so frequently ignored by music teachers. My style is nurturing, yet disciplined, and sprinkled liberally with good natured humor.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about lessons with Wendy, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Currently perform in and around the Chicago area with The Red Apples, a roots rock band I formed with my husband in 2003
- In the Blink of an Eye, original music performance, part of Source: An Exploration of Beginnings; Andersonville Arts Weekend, Edgewater Historical Society
- Hollow, original music performance; ArtMix One, an evening of performative art produced by Chicago InArts at St Patrick's Fine Arts Center
- Unfinished Portrait of Ahkmatova, Anna Ahkmatova, Links Hall Performance Series, created and directed by Jill Daley (formerly Curious Theater) with original songs by Ilya Levinson based on the poetry of Ahkmatova
- I'm A Stranger Here Myself, original performance featuring the music of Kurt Weill and original music in collaboration with Jaroslaw Golembiowski, Jerzy Kenar's Wooden Gallery
- The Lulu Sex Tragedies, Countess Geschwitz, Prop Theater, directed by avant-garde South African director Christiaan Pretorious (Jeff recommended)
- Graduated, Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theater/Voice (BFA), University of Kansas 
- Graduated, Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Arts (MA ), Columbia College Chicago 
- Marcia Grund/Linklater Technique 
- Kenneth Smith [1978 - 1982]
- Z. Z. Cynkuitis, of Grotowski's Teatr Laboratorium [1981 - 1982]
- Kyle Donnelly, Actor's Center [1984 - 1987]
Seminars and Workshops Attended:
- Master Class with William Warfield, renowned Bass/Baritone, University of Kansas 
- Physical, Vocal Performance Workshop with Z. Cynkuitis, Internationally acclaimed Grotowski's Teatr Laboratorium 
- Second Degree Reiki Usui System, Gwen Mitchell Reiki Master , Usui Shiki Ryoho 
- Ensemble Performance/The Threepenny Opera, Bailiwick Theater - Joseph Jefferson Committee 
- Ensemble Performance/Animal Farm, Bailiwick Theater - Joseph Jefferson Committee 
- The Red Apples - "DEMO" 
- The Red Apples - "Acoustic Apples" 
- McCounaughey Scholarship for Academic Excellence [1977 - 1978]
- Theatre Department Scholarship for Acting, University of Kansas [1981 - 1982]
Student Reviews for Wendy
(5.0 out of 5 stars)
Great Teachers - December 30, 2012
By Lillian, Voice Lessons
Wendy is first a very loving young lady and pleasent to be around. She's then a very talented teacher who listens to what you are there to accomplish and she work with you to help bring out your best. Wendy is the first vocal coach I feel so pleased with with the process she takes me through in the 45min lessons and it seems the time goes by really fast. I feel that I will reach some goal with Wendy helping me.
I Thank God for her!
Excellent voice teacher! - June 15, 2012
By Brian - Oak Park, IL, Voice Lessons
My 12 year old has been singing on stage for several years now, and these are her first professional lessons. Wendy has been great, teaching her the fundamentals and working to her strengths, but also pushing her in new directions that work for her voice and range. My daughter really looks forward to the lessons every week. Wendy's flexibility in scheduling has also been great for us.
Wonderful Wendy! : ) - February 28, 2010
By Deborah, Voice Lessons
Wendy has done an outstanding job encouraging my 15 son in his pursuit to front his band. She is enthusiastic, patient and knowledgeable! She understands that teens may not be ready to share their voices and patiently encourages them. She is kind, upbeat and professional. I highly recommend Wendy for students of any age.
Wendy P. Recommendation - February 12, 2010
By Mark & Kelly - Arlington Heights, IL, Voice Lessons
Wendy provides voice lessons to both of our teenage children, ages 16 and 14 years old. She is truly outstanding. Wendy has a calming way about her that puts our kids at ease and makes the lessons enjoyable. She is very professional, always on time, and a pleasure to work with. She is outstanding at identifying strengths and weaknesses in vocal performance and has really helped both of our children improve. She comes highly recommended!
Simply Life changing - February 4, 2010
By OMAR JANO - CHICAGO, IL, Voice Lessons
Wendy is a very down to earth voice instructor who emphasizes the importance of keeping singing fun and relaxed, and doesn't focus on all of that discouraging and difficult technique that many vocal instructors teach, but implements the spiritual perspective of singing, that not only helped me improve greatly as a singer, but also as a person. A++++
Fabulous Voice Teacher! - February 4, 2010
By DONNA - WILMETTE, IL, Voice Lessons
I have found Wendy to be an outstanding voice instructor (and my expectations were high, having studied music for 10+ years prior to beginning lessons with her). She is very knowledgeable, does an excellent job at customizing her teaching approach, and is consistently enthusiastic - an excellent motivator! I highly recommend Wendy, and look forward to continuing work with her.