Influences: I can teach all styles, but my main influences are from jazz masters like Elvin Jones, Philly Joe Jones, Roy Haynes, and Tony Williams.
Influences: I can teach all styles, but my main influences are from the jazz world; Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, and Herbie Hancock. I personally studied with Charlie Banacos.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about lessons with Matthew, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- I started teaching percussion in Maracaibo, Venezuela. This was the beginning of El Sistema, a program designed for low income families. Later, I returned to the Boston area to join the faculty of Concord Academy and Boston Conservatory of Music. I now reside in the L.A. area and have been teaching out of my studio and also in-home. [1978 - 2014]
- Graduated, applied percussion performance (BM), New England Conservatory of Music, Boston, MA 
- Vic Firth, timpanist of the Boston Symphony [1972 - 1976]
- Alan Dawson, jazz drummer 
- Charlie Banacos [1985 - 2001]
- Changsha Music Festival, Changsha, China [June, 2013]
- Vibrato Grill Jazz club, Los Angeles, CA [July, 2014]
- The Matt Gordy Group - "Almost Spring" 
- The Matt Gordy Group - "Eclipse" 
Student Reviews for Matthew
(0 out of 5 stars)
1. jazz drum set 1
2. jazz drum set 2