Matt B. , Guitar Teacher , NYC
Influences: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, Mike Stern, John Scofield, among many other great jazz and rock guitarists.
Influences: Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Dave Holland, Victor Wooten, Christian McBride, John Patitucci, among many ther great jazz and rocket bassists.
I approach lessons with an open mind and eagerness to adapt to the students needs and interests. Depending on the current level of the student, I will direct lessons with a well-rounded approach to general music practices while incorporating the student's desired goals. This means that whichever style (e.g. Rock 'n' Roll, Blues, Jazz, Classical, Folk, etc) the student is most interested in and wherever their current level of ability stands, I will supplement the lessons with appropriate music theory. This will allow the student to have a complete grasp of the concepts in order to continue learning on their own. From Rock 'n' Roll to Jazz and Classical music, I have found this approach to be an extremely effective and beneficial way for the student to learn any style of music. Most importantly, students find their lessons with me to be always fun and rewarding. Music, and especially learning music, should be an enjoyable experience; I always maintain that underlying theme when teaching any student.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about Guitar lessons with Matt, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (212) 537-6746.
- Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music and Art & Performing Arts: Student Teacher. Taught jazz ensembles, ear training, private instruction, and history to approximately 50 students.
- Private guitar: Successfully taught students of all ages guitar and music performance practices throughout New York City. [2004 - Present]
- Stage Manager, Jazz at Lincoln Center: Involved in educational and concert programming. Education work included courses intended for toddlers all the way up to adults, including the Essentially Ellington program. [2006 - Present]
- Jazz Festivals: Performed at jazz festivals throughout the United States and Canada. [2002 - Present]
- NYC Jazz Clubs and Theaters: Performed in many NYC jazz clubs and theaters, including the Jazz Standard and Jazz at Lincoln Center's Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola [2004 - Present]
- Graduated, Master of Music: Jazz Studies and Performance (Guitar) (MM), William Paterson University 
- Graduated, Bachelor of Fine Arts: Jazz Studies and Music Education (Guitar) (BFA), The City College of New York 
- Peter Bernstein [2004 - 2007]
- James Chirillo [2005 - 2008]
- Jack Petersen [2002 - 2009]
- Gene Bertoncini [2007 - 2009]
- Best Jazz Guitarist in Arizona - KJZZ Radio 
- Pro Musica Award - The City College of New York 
- Sedona Jazz on the Rocks [2000 - 2002]
- Weber Scholarship 
- Youngsounds of Arizona Scholarship [2003 - 2004]
- Arizona Classic Jazz Society Scholarship [2004 - 2005]
- Petrie Scholarship [2004 - 2007]
Student Reviews for Matt
(5.0 out of 5 stars)
Wonderful Guitar Instructor - January 11, 2010
By MILDRED NUNEZ - NEW YORK , NY, Guitar Lessons
Learning to play an instrument for the first time is difficult and I did not think it would be possible even from someone as qualified as Matt. However in just three months I have learned far more than I expected. Matt doesn't just teach me how to play the songs I enjoy; he explains the background of every chord I use. He is thorough, patient and makes every class fun. I really enjoy my lessons and I consider myself lucky that he is my instructor.
Matt teaches in-home lessons, but also teaches from a studio.