Influences: Eric Clapton, Beatles, Santana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Chuck Berry, U2, Simon & Garfunkle
Influences: Billy Joel, Steven Sondheim, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington
Influences: Don Braden (studied with), Charlie Parker, John Coltrane
I am the Music Director and faculty instructor at the Joffrey Ballet School in New York City. Whether in a classroom or in private instruction, I engage students in music using techniques that compliment their individual learning styles. As a professional composer and conductor, I am also well-versed in a multitude of musical styles, instruments, and technology. I am also very experienced in working with special needs students, and have a Masters in Music from New York University.
While a music education has many benefits (discipline, focus, cultural awareness, and reasoning to name a few) I firmly believe that music should be fun for the student. Every student is unique and it is necessary to work with the students' interests to make the most of their education. It is with this philosophy that I ensure students are not only educated in being great musicians, but great human beings as well.
To inquire about lessons with Randall, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Composer In Residence with the Off-Broadway theater organization "Theater In Asylum" 
- Instructor of "Music for Dance"- creating and teaching a 3 year music curriculum for dancers 
- Private music instruction for numerous students since 2009, including instruction in Guitar, Bass, Piano, Woodwinds, Didgeridoo and Theremin 
- Performances of "Baby Plays the Banjo" at Bleecker St Theater, and "Spring Stepping" at Dance New Amsterdam- worked as music consultant 
- Music Director at the Joffrey Ballet School 
- Graduated, Master of Music in Scoring for Film and Multimedia (MM), New York University 
- Graduated, Bachelors of Music in Theory and Composition (BM), New York Universty 
- Don Braden 
- Milan Slavicky [2006 - 2007]
- Marc Antonio Consoli [2007 - 2009]
- David Spear [2009 - 2011]
Seminars and Workshops Attended:
- Deconstructing the Beatles, Society for Composers & Lyricists 
- A Composers Forum: Stephen Flaherty, Society for Composers & Lyricists 
- Ole! (Live theater underscore on Flamenco Guitar) [January, 2013]
- About Face (theater underscoring) [December, 2014]
- Chemistry (NYC Fringe Festival) [August, 2014]
- Life is a Dream (flamenco guitar) [March, 2015]
- C.V. Starr Scholarship [2006 - 2007]
- Al Jolson Scholarship [2007 - 2011]
Student Reviews for Randall
(5.0 out of 5 stars)
Great teacher - July 15, 2015
By Maury - NYC, NY, Piano Lessons
Randall is terrific. He is very open to accommodating music preferences of his students and he's very flexible. My son feels good about himself as a pianist and developing artist. Randall's encouragement and focus has made a tremendous difference.
Fun, Talented & Intuitive - July 14, 2015
By Rob & Family - NYC/LA, Guitar Lessons
Working with Randall was not only fun for my kids, but also fun for me. My oldest daughter, Daisy, decided she wanted to play guitar, so I got her a guitar that was nice enough for me in case she did not follow through. My wife found Randall on Encore about a year and a half ago and he has been coming to our home ever since - until we moved to the West Coast.
Randall's kindness, talent and overall energy had us looking forward to his weekly visit and Daisy's progress and love of the guitar was infectious. So infectious, that I decided (the dad!) that I wanted in on the fun, so I signed up to work with Randall too. He was able to teach an old dog new trick! I had a blast and, thanks to Randall, was able to fulfill a few of my "rock & roll fantasies" on both the electric and acoustic guitars!
Randall has a great ability to adjust to his student's needs and makes every moment fun. We highly recommend Randall for any family or age group. He has taught both piano and guitar in our household and we understand that he can even teach the theremin!
A treasure of a teacher - April 15, 2014
By Suzanne - Brooklyn, NY, Saxophone Lessons
Randall is really heaven-sent. He's a fabulous teacher, who has nurtured and encouraged my son in his alto saxophone playing. My shy child with processing issues is now able to stand in front of an audience and play music and thoroughly enjoy it. Randall has opened a whole world for my son of confidence as well as rhythm. Randall is always prompt, courteous, professional, and obviously quite talented. You can tell he loves the deeper rewards of teaching. Thank you, Randall!
1. Composition Reel
2. Jungle Chutzpah- original composition
3. Fatal Seduction- original composition, Tenor Sax