Influences: Stevie Wonder, Peggy Lee, Stevie Nicks, Julie London, Erykah Badu, Fiona Apple, Marie Daulne (Zap Mama), Bjork, Neko Case, Patty Griffin, Feist
Influences: Paul Simon, Ani Difranco, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Caetano Veloso, Ben Harper
Suzanna hails from Austin, TX as one of the most sought-out guitar and voice teachers. Her love for music started at an early age and she studied piano and saxophone as a child, as well as participating in countless choirs, however it was when she picked up the guitar at age 16 that she really fell in love with songwriting and performing. Suzanna began to sing in bands live around Austin and San Marcos, where she began her college career at Texas State University. She then transferred to College of Santa Fe in New Mexico to further her musical studies at the Contemporary Music Program where she was able to gain a diverse education in world musics, vocal technique, guitar, audio production, composition and music business. She graduated Cum Laude in 2003 with a BA in Music Technology and moved back to Austin to forge ahead with her musical dreams. Back in Austin, Suzanna began working at Austin School of Music, a renowned school known for their emphasis on "real live experience" in the music industry, a place where you the teachers both toured and taught, giving students access to a more well-rounded education. Suzanna taught private voice and guitar lessons from August of 2003 to October of 2011, as well as Rock Camp Austin, a summer camp where teachers lead teen bands for two-week sessions, basically preparing them for their first show and audio recording, perfecting performance and technique. In October of 2011, Suzanna picked up and moved to New York City to gain a different experience and further her musical career.
In Austin she has gained wide acclaim, picking up the Austin Chronicle's Best Indie Band of 2008-2009, playing Austin City Limits Festival, Blues on the Green, and many other recognized festivals and venues. Known for her percussive guitar-picking and powerful soul-pop sound, she has also won various songwriting competitions, including the John Lennon Songwriting Contest and International Songwriting Competition. Suzanna's teaching has been sought-after so much in Austin because she genuinely loves connecting with students, designing each and every lesson for individual students with different goals and learning styles. She truly loves teaching, sharing what she has learned thus far about her voice, the guitar, songwriting, performance and the music business. Musically, she is influenced by many styles, so it's easy for her to dive into teaching the blues one day and African Pop the next. She is able to provide a varied learning experience, drawing from unique life experiences.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about lessons with Suzanna, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Austin School of Music//Taught students from age 3-63 private guitar and voice lessons as well as Rock Camp, a fun summer program for teen bands. I loved being here surrounded by so many talented teachers and I was able to teach a wide variety of levels, genres, and ages. [2003 - 2011]
- Grounded in Music//An after-school program held at the Boys and Girls Club of Austin, I taught middle-school age kids private guitar lessons. This was more challenging as many of the students did not own a guitar and therefore could not practice at home, so they were just very fun, easy lessons teaching basics of rhythm and simple songs. [2010 - 2011]
- Suzanna Choffel, LLC//I have been performing and recording professionally for about 7 years, releasing two independent albums that have garnered much critical praise, and have played weekly shows in Austin and toured nationally as well. I have been a band-leader and arranger and worked with many musicians. My music is original, soul-infused pop with elements of folk and world musics (mainly Brazilian or Afro-Latin). I have played Austin City Limits Festival, SXSW, CMJ, and other renowned festivals and venues throughout the US. [2004 - 2011]
- Lead Singer for Bands//I started singing in bands at the age of 14 and performing in live music venues in San Marcos and Austin, TX. The bands were Red-Headed Step-Child (teen band, rhythm & blues), The Humblebums (roots-rock-Latin), and Liquid Stereo Project (R&B, jazz, hip-hop). [1994 - 2000]
- Rug Bug Music & Music for Aardvarks: taught & lead infant/toddler music classes, engaging in child/parent interaction & teaching basic elements of rhythm & melody. [2012 - 2014]
- Graduated, Music Technology (BA), College of Santa Fe 
- Joan La Barbara [2000 - 2002]
- Kellye Gray [2004 - 2006]
- Lewis Winn [2000 - 2002]
- 2nd Place Folk/Singer-Songwriter Category - International Songwriting Competition 
- Best Indie Band - Austin Chronicle 
- The Voice [September, 2012]
- Suzanna Choffel - "Shudders & Rings" 
- Suzanna Choffel - "Steady Eye Shaky Bow" 
- Talent Scholarship [2000 - 2003]
- Presidential Scholarship [2000 - 2003]
Student Reviews for Suzanna
(0 out of 5 stars)