Krystal J. was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. She began singing and playing trumpet at the age of 11 where she soon discovered her love of music. She participated in state-wide competitions with her high school Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, and Vocal Jazz Ensemble. All three groups continuously placed high in competitions. Senior year Krystal auditioned and was hand-picked out of thousands of auditions to be apart of the 2002 Grammy Choir. She traveled to Los Angeles to perform with many jazz greats such as Kurt Elling, Kirk Whalem, Dave Koz, and many others as well as attended the Grammy Ceremony.
After high school she attended community college where she received a scholarship into the jazz studies program. It was there that she learned to play the piano and honed in on her vocal and trumpet abilities. She participated in the Jazz Festival three years consecutively performing with the likes of Wynton Marsalis, The New York Voices, Diana Krall, and many others.
After graduating Magna Cum Laude she received a full scholarship to Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA. She studied composition and performance and graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelors of Music degree.
After graduating from Berklee, Krystal relocated to Atlanta, GA where she has lived for three years. She recently was offered a position as a singer and trumpet player for the Grammy Award Winning group Train on their world tour in 2012, but decided to travel to Africa for three months performing. Currently, Krystal performs with her band, song-writes, and produces. She enjoys teaching people of all ages. She has a natural niche for teaching and hopes to instill the love of music that she found very early on in her life.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
To inquire about lessons with Krystal, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- I have taught formally and informally. I perform almost every weekend traveling the south east. I have traveled abroad to Africa to perform for 3 months. [2012 - 2012]
- Offered to go on an international tour with Grammy Award Winning group Train in April of 2012. [2012 - 2012]
- Currently recording trumpet horn lines on Grammy Award winning gospel rapper Lecrae. [2013 - 2013]
- Graduated, Bachelors of Music (BM), Berklee College of Music 
- Graduated, Associates of Arts (AA), Cuyahoga Community College 
- Steven Enos [2006 - 2009]
- Ernie Krivda [2006 - 2009]
- Rhiannon [2007 - 2008]
- Donna McElroy [2007 - 2009]
- Steven Santoro [2007 - 2008]
- John Blake [2006 - 2007]
- Boston Music Award - Boston Music Awards in Boston, MA 
- University of Alabama [April, 2013]
- Wedding in Charlston, SC [April, 2013]
- Athens, GA Wedding [April, 2013]
- Opened up for Fantasia and Anthony Hamilton [June, 2014]
- North American Scholarship [2006 - 2009]
- Cleveland Foundation Scholarship [2003 - 2008]
- Plain Dealer Scholarship [2002 - 2003]
Student Reviews for Krystal
(0 out of 5 stars)