Influences: Horace Silver, Herbie Hancock, Hank Jones, Tommy Flanagan, Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, Allen Touissant
Influences: Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder
I am a patient, caring teacher with many years of experience and NYS certification in music education. I teach piano and voice and individualize instruction for each student. You will learn basic technique, theory, and repertoire, and then you will focus on the music you want to learn. We'll work together to make your lessons fun and interesting. Teaching is a way for me to share my love of music. My goal is to see my students learn, progress, and perform on their own.
I teach all styles, ages, and ability levels, and specialize in popular music, Broadway, rock, and jazz. I am qualified to prepare you for NYSSMA, levels I - VI, piano and voice. I can also prepare you for high school, college, and theater auditions.
I teach in-home lessons only. Please contact me for more information.
To inquire about lessons with Jon, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- Choral Director, Halsey JHS, Forest Hills, NY. Director of Concert Chorus and Jazz Chorus. Participated in All-County Chorus and NYSSMA Major Organization Festival. Prepared students for auditions to specialized high schools. [1992 - 2012]
- Musical Director, Halsey JHS. Collaborated in production of shows including "Aladdin", "Music Man","Hairspray", and many others. [1992 - 2015]
- Private instructor. Taught students of all ages and ability levels. [1985 - 2015]
- Freelance keyboard player, performing in leading hotels, restaurants and clubs throughout the NYC metropolitan area. Recent engagements include the Pierre Hotel, Bryant Park Grill, and 21 Club in Manhattan, Terrace on the Park in Queens, and Oheka Castle on Long Island. [1985 - 2015]
- Performed at Lola, a gourmet restaurant in Great Neck, NY, on Thursdays, "Jazz Night at Lola" [2010 - 2012]
- Graduated, Music Education (MA), Lehman College 
- Graduated, Performance (piano) (BA), City University of New York 
- Gil Goldstein [1986 - 1988]
- Don Sebesky [1985 - 1986]
- Tony Aless [1980 - 1984]
Seminars and Workshops Attended:
- Winter Conference, NYSSMA 
- Annual Conference, International Association of Jazz Educators (IAJE) 
- Permanent Certification, Music K-12 , University of the State of New York 
- Permanent License, Teacher of Music, New York City Public Schools 
- Major Organization Adjudication Festival, Silver Rating, 2011,2012 - New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA) 
- Invitational Middle School Festival - National Chorale 
- Awarded grant supporting the Halsey Jazz Chorus - Midori Foundation 
- Jon Goodman - "Songs For My Father" 
Student Reviews for Jon
(0 out of 5 stars)