My goal as Voice Instructor, Vocal Coach and Piano Instructor is to push talent to go a step further in each lesson, because I see and hear what they could be capable of if challenged. I motivate and embrace each student’s originality as musicians and performers while helping them improve and have fun!
A little about me, I received a Master's in Vocal Performance with a primary focus on vocal technique, breath coordination, crossover vocal style, coaching, and dramatic interpretation.
As an experienced voice instructor for developing technique and restoring voices of all genres, and a vocal coach specializing in crossover and and contemporary talent (pop, alternative rock, R&B/urban, gospel,etc.). I have also had the opportunity to coach rap lyricists and spoken word artists into developing vocal stamina with proper vocal technique and exercises to help reduce strain and fatigue while doing shows.
My music curriculum includes honing technique, projection and stamina, breath and body coordination, dramatization and stage presence, as well as learning and applying concepts in music theory, and music appreciation. I teach my students to not focus on the length of their practice, but work productively so that they become better musicians, and aid in setting goals and discipline for them. After 3 or 6 months students would have learned a foundation of vocal technique and/or beginning piano, basic concepts of music theory, and how to approach a new song with a new mindset of study and performance. In my sessions, I enjoy empowering students to develop self-esteem, confidence, and discipline as they set goals for themselves.
Overall I help students help themselves instill a positive work ethic, and encourage students to discover who they are through their innate abilities to perform and make music. For more advanced vocalists, it is rewarding to see and hear them perform at their peak as we troubleshoot technical areas together and how to emote honestly through our music. As a songwriter and vocal arranger, I also advise musicians that need help designing song structures or hearing vocal harmonies and advise on stylings/riffs that fit one's vocal style and am available to work with you if you are seeking songwriting sessions as well.
Since vocal training is very focused on creating musical sounds internally versus externally, I accept students ages 10 - Adult, as young voices are still developing, and if he/she is comfortable receiving instruction and taking direction on their voice. For ages under 10 that enjoy singing, I incorporate a combination of learning piano and singing along, that way they can learn basic music theory while training their musical ear to establish pitch. I also offer beginning piano along with music theory for children and adults ages 5-Adult, and especially enjoying helping vocalists learn how to play piano so they can become better musicians.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to working with you and helping you achieve your musical goals!
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage
To inquire about lessons with Canda, please fill out the Inquiry Form on this page, or call us at (800) 417-4620.
- CLARK MUSIC STUDIO - Offering 10 years of professional voice and coaching services in studio and online (Skype or OOVOO). Focus on vocal technique, breath coordination, crossover vocal style, coaching, and dramatic interpretation for ages 10-up. Primary focus on vocal technique, breath coordination, crossover vocal style, coaching, and dramatic interpretation. Designed student recitals, conducted group training workshops. Offering Beginning to Early Intermediate Piano Instruction and Music Theory for ages 4-up. [2002 - 2013]
- LORTON ART FOUNDATION (6 MONTHS) - Offering 10 years of professional voice and coaching services in studio. Focus on vocal technique, breath coordination, crossover vocal style, coaching, and dramatic interpretation for ages 9-up. ♪ Coordinated and Hosted Spring Voice and Piano Recital with students at Lorton Workhouse Theatre June 16, 2012. [2012 - 2012]
- HEARTBEATS MUSIC & DANCE CENTER - Offered professional voice and coaching services. Focus on vocal technique, breath coordination, crossover vocal style, coaching, and dramatic interpretation for ages 10-up. Offered Beginning to Early Intermediate Piano Instruction and Music Theory for ages 4-up. [2010 - 2012]
- Graduated, Vocal Performance (M.M.), Catholic University of America 
- Bonnie Kunkel [2002 - 2003]
- Sharon Christman 
- Jean Carter [2000 - 2002]
- Robert Baker [1992 - 1996]
- Karaoke, Comedy & Coffee for a Cause [January, 2013]
- Canda - "Why I Sometimes Dance Alone" 
- Canda - "Now or Never" 
- Presidential Performing Arts Scholarship [1992 - 1996]
Student Reviews for Canda
(0 out of 5 stars)
1. Building Vocal Technique Clip I
2. Spring Recital - Avi Jackson, Student
3. Spring Recital - Emily Domenech, Student
4. Winter Recital - Kimmy Nguyen, Student